Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Big Apple Red

Wow, sorry for the delay in posting!  I can't believe how much has happened since I last wrote.  And sorry, but this post will be sans photos, since I'm still trying to figure out the most efficient phone-to-computer transfer.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

So, since I last posted, I traveled back to DC for one final hurrah.  It's still crazy to think that I won't be going back there any time soon, but the trip was pretty perfect in wrapping up my five years in the Beltway.

I arrived later than planned on Wednesday, and was unfortunately not able to attend a bachelorette party for one of the weddings, but Deidre took pity on me to get me food in Old Town, and we got to walk by the river front.  I will certainly miss margaritas at Austin Grill and ice cream at Pop's!  So many memories made on King Street - good and bad - and it was a lovely evening to wrap it up there.

The next day I made a trip to the Chancery and spent about two hours there catching up with old co-workers and friends.  That evening Deidre and Maggen both had me over and we watched Crazy Stupid Love which, despite the requisite Hollywood raunchiness, was pretty funny.

Friday was the first wedding day, and it was so sweet.  For the occasion I got a manicure and had my nails painted - appropriately for me - Big Apple Red.  Thank you OPI for your never-ending color quips ;) 

It was ironic despite the Supreme Court's destruction of the word "marriage" to see Jon and Miranda take their vows on the same day.  The ceremony was absolutely beautiful and Miranda was a gorgeous bride.  I was so happy I could be there for them!

The reception also wasn't as awkward as it could have been, since it's the first wedding I've attended without Kamil since we've been together.  I was seated with some lovely single ladies (why no guys have jumped at the chance to date them is beyond me...) and we were able to dance together and enjoy the AWESOME Pittsburgh tradition of a cookie table.  Plus I got to meet Kate from The Rhodes Log, which was pretty neat.

Saturday was another wedding day, which was also lovely despite the torrential downpours that day.  I got to sing with the choir for Ronnie's wedding and even the Bishop made an appearance!  The reception was a nice chance to have a last chat with several choir members, and then I went to an evening Mass there at St. Agnes afterwards.

Then Sunday was super exciting because I was able to drive newlyweds Jon and Miranda to JFK on my way home to New York!  As I was leaving their reception they mentioned they would be flying out Sunday evening for their honeymoon to Italy, so I offered to drive them up.  It was great to have a chance to catch up in a more intimate setting than a wedding reception.  I've really missed Miranda, so hopefully I'll make my way out west sooner than later to see them again.  And it was appropriate to take them with me as I left DC for good, as Miranda was my first good friend made in the Beltway.  Praying they enjoy the Italian version of a "bon voyage"! ;)

And so I returned to my lover Sunday evening and we've been settling into our permanent residence here on Long Island.  Our brand new bed arrived yesterday and it is AWESOME having a king size mattress after squeezing onto a full for the last 10 months.  Although, Kamil still claims I'm stealing covers while I sleep... ;)

I promise to post pictures galore in my next post!  Also, my report on the local Catholic churches and Kamil's first day as an official doctor :)

Loves,

LL

No comments:

Post a Comment