Friday, May 29, 2015

Sweet Home

Whew.

Well, we got home Wednesday evening from our big road trip, and Kamil is such a trooper for all of that travel!  I don't know if he's done more than a 6-7 hour drive in one day, and he helped me drive the 10 hours to my parents AND another 6 hour drive three days later to Illinois to see my family.  Quite the whirlwind!

Like I wrote earlier, I was able to show Kamil my alma mater of Hillsdale College, and it was wonderful to see how the campus is doing.  We had lunch with an old professor and his wife, and also sat and chatted with another professor in the history department.  We also ran into an old friend who is now employed by the College, and it was neat to hear how her experience is as an alum now working there.  I also got reminded how old I am, by seeing a girl I knew when she was probably in middle school while I was a student there, who is now a sophomore working in the student bookstore. Crazy!

So, we also made our way to another alma mater of sorts by visiting my dad's hometown and showing Kamil the places I visited when I would spend part of the summer every year with my grandparents when I was younger.  Some things have obviously changed, but it's kind of nice to see the things that haven't.  And it's always fun hearing the old stories about the house my dad grew up in before his parents moved into his grandparents' house (which he got to help build since my grandfather was in construction).  There's also the funny story about a woman who accidentally drove her car into my grandparents' plumbing store downtown, and how my grandfather was a volunteer fireman because he was the only one who could get the firetruck into its garage. :)

Sadly, one place that holds a special place in my heart appears to be closing - Rockome Gardens (I know, it's a tad strange that a place known for being in the heart of Amish country and started by the Amish has its own website...).  We have photos of my grandparents there on a date before they were married, so it's sad to see it go.  I hope they're able to salvage some of the better parts of the property for posterity's sake.

We drove back to Michigan with my parents (stopped at this fun place!) and then the next day we started on back east.  We were able to spend a night in Pittsburgh visiting my dear friend and old roommate from college, who is currently expecting her first baby!
it was sunny, hence the squinting ;)

It was such a treat to stay at their cute little home and visit with them.  And now Kamil has a new video game "friend", haha.

It's great to be back here for a bit, although a little hard since we have another trip next week, and then we have to get in more serious packing mode for the move.  I feel like we're some kind of band on tour!  I'm trying to get some exercise back into the mix so I did Jazzercise yesterday and today, and it sufficiently kicked my butt ;)

So tonight Kamil gets to hang out with the guys for a celebratory/good-bye Ultimate Man Night and I have a quiet night alone.  Of course I'm not motivated now to do any of the things still staring me down to get done, but hopeful!

Hope you're staying cool wherever you are!

Loves,

LL

No comments:

Post a Comment