Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Movin' on up!

Last weekend's trip in Savannah was ahh-mazing and so much better than I expected!  No offense to Georgia, but with the packing and moving, the thought of a looong drive was upping my stress levels.  But Kamil and I enjoyed the town so much that we added an extra night to our stay!  Those who know me, know that I'm not the most spontaneous person, but I was really happy with our splurge :)

Quick re-cap of the trip:

We arrived Friday and had dinner down by the water.  Saturday we toured a bit of the town, which included seeing this house and also the homestead of Flannery O'Conner.  When the city was built, the founder included 24 planned squares in a grid throughout town, 22 of which now serve as pretty little parks every few streets.  It's so cute!  It's like a bigger, cleaner, more peaceful version of Old Town Alexandria. Love!

The wedding was Saturday night and was hot hot hot but at least the rain stayed at bay.  Here is the required photo of us:


 ready to dance!

We were the old married couple who left shortly after the cake cutting.  Apparently some folks partied until after midnight.  Crazy kids ;)

Sunday we checked out the Cathedral for Mass, and ohmygosh it is a GORGEOUS church!  (like, seriously, Fr. Rippy, this is what a Cathedral should look like...ahem)

this doesn't do it justice

It's been nicknamed the "Sistine of the South" due to its beautiful artwork throughout.  Beautiful Catholic architecture in the heart of Dixie? Yes, please :)

After Mass there was a wedding brunch, and then we had the whole rest of the day to explore some more, do some window shopping, and just relax and not worry about the packing awaiting us back in Arlington.  Also!  Savannah is a neat town in that it allows for open alcohol on the streets, so after dinner we ordered beverages to go and continued our tour by the waterfront.  Pretty neat!

enjoying a peach Long Island iced tea

So Monday we began our long drive home and made it back around dinnertime.  Since then it's been pretty intense packing-mode for me, and Kamil has done his fair share as well.  Also, Deidre treated me with a day away to a winery in Manassas.  We enjoyed the beautiful landscape, and also being one of very few people around on a work day.  And then I had a "last" dinner with some ladies at Austin Grill in Old Town.

thanks for the wine, Deidre!

It's strange because I keep having these good-bye events, but it's not really good-bye because we're not leaving until Monday, and I'll be back a few weeks later anyway.  So it's still surreal that I'm moving.  I'll be glad once we're settled and I can get into a routine.  How I miss routine!  But I'm definitely enjoying being spoiled by all the time I've had with Kamil :)

p.s. I'm really excited about this show, is anyone else?

Loves for now,

LL

No comments:

Post a Comment